Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Evan

Last week Evan had his 2 1/2 year check up.  Of course he is doing great.  Height 37.8 in (89%) and weight 32 lbs.(77%) and he is a year ahead on his cognitive development. 

Evan is a little jabber box now.  He talks all the time and is constantly trying to keep up with Madi.  He loves playing with her and they do pretty well together most of the time.

Evan loves riding his bike and does good until he goes too fast down the little hill toward the shed.  He wiped out pretty good a couple weeks ago and scraped up his little nose.  It looked really bad but is getting better.  He still loves his tractors and trucks and has quite the collection that he likes to play with in his room.  He is such a better player than Madi was at this age.  He will go off on his own and just play and play in his room.  But his favorite is still playing with Madi.  She can get a little bossy but he doesn't mind.  He will do anything she says.  Which may get him in trouble as they get older!  ;)

We are all enjoying the nice weather lately and have been able to go to the park and have picnics and play.  Of course the kids don't eat very well.  They want to play!!  Last night the kids even took off on their own exploring the field to the south of us and making their way back to the big hill behind our house.  It was fun to watch Evan standing on top of the little dirt hill, holding a stick, while Madi tries to climb up the hill asking Evan to pull her up with the stick!!  I figured she would end up pulling him down the hill but they worked it out and she finally made it to the top!  I love that they are able to take off and explore and make their own little adventures.  It is just what we imagined when wanting to live out in the country.

Evan has picked up on his ABCs and numbers and is doing really good.  He can say his whole alphabet and can count to 11 consistently and sometimes higher with a little help.  It is so amazing what kids can learn just by listening and having it around them.  We didn't really ever sit down and work on these things with him.  But he heard us working with Madi and hearing the songs in the car.  He also has a couple of games on the ipad that spells out words and he is getting good at recognizing some letters.  So we will keep working and see where he is at this summer and decide on whether to start preschool.  Since he is a September baby, he could have 3 years of preschool before starting Kindergarten.  But I'm not sure if I will be able to let him start next year.  It just doesn't seem possible that he could be old enough for school.  It's going way too fast :(

I have also been dragging my feet on potty training but I finally gave in and we started today.  And only because we were almost out of diapers.  Buy more diapers or buy pull-ups?  Probably easier to get it done now than when we are super busy with spring and summer activities.  But I just hate seeing him getting so big.  I want my baby back.  I guess the next thing will be getting him into his big boy bed.  Also not looking forward to that.  I just hope he continues to be a good sleeper.  Unlike his sister who still gets up during the night more often than not. 

My smily man with his scraped up nose.

Such a happy guy!

My munchkins!
---------------------------
Update for Madi!

Yesterday (Tuesday 2-21) Madi finally found her first loose tooth!!  She was eating lunch and complained twice that it hurt to eat her pickle and pizza.  Which she usually devours (she is quite the eater).  So I checked and her bottom right front tooth was loose!!  She was so excited which quickly turned to not wanting it loose because she wanted to eat her pizza!  And then the questions started about how it was going to fall out and then she started worring about it hurting when it has to be pulled out.  She can be such the drama queen at times!  Too funny :)

Busy rest of the week ahead.  Madi and I are going to her first concert Thursday night!  And then birthday party on Saturday and lots of other stuff!  Have a great rest of the week!
Love, Amy

1 comment:

Linda J. said...

They are so adorable! I love the story of them climbing the hill together and working it out how to get Madi to the top! Thank you for posting. Love you guys.

Aunt Linda