Thursday, June 7, 2012

HARVEST TIME

Wheat harvest was early this year by at least a couple of weeks, maybe more.  Seems last year they cut just the week before our 4th of July party.  So it may have even been a whole month early.  Obviously, I am not a farmer and don't have all the crop knowledge.  But I LOVE seeing the combines in the fields.  It is so cool to watch.  And even more fun this year with Evan so enthralled by all the big machines.  He also LOVE'S it!  So last week, we were all super excited when we came home one evening and saw the combines in the field across the road from us.  The kids were so excited, they ran to get their lawn chairs and sat at the edge of our yard, waiting for the big combine to cut right in front of them!!  Who knew wheat harvest was now a spectator sport?!  It was so funny sitting on our porch seeing them sitting way up there, waiting.  Too funny!

Unfortunately, they had just enough daylight to cut a little section right off the intersection up the road from us.  So they didn't get to see the big combine up close before having to come in for bed. :(

 
 
 
 

But they made the best of it and played patty cake games and sang to each other!
 
 
 
I love that they can play together.  Sometimes nicely and sweet, makes up for the fighting times :)

 

The next morning we were able to make it outside to watch them up close.  Made it a little harder to see since they were looking into the sun at them.  But they were so excited!!  Evan kept asking when they were going to come into our yard and cut our wheat (grass).  Such a cute little guy!
 
 
 
 
 

Harvest is almost done.  At least the fields in our immediate area have almost all been cut.  If we want to see combines, we are going to have to travel to seek them out instead of just seeing them on our route to going somewhere.  Too bad.  I would love to get Evan into one next year.  That would be so COOL!!

I hope harvest was a success for all the farmers out there.  Still praying for rain.  Our attempt at growing crops isn't going so well without the rain again.  Our corn is pretty sparse.  Luckily, our livelihood doesn't depend on it.  I couldn't imagine the stress on farmers if they had to look at our crops, YIKES.  So far the other corn fields around us look better than ours.  But I am sure rain would be welcomed by all.

Happy Harvest,
Amy

No comments: