Monday, November 5, 2012

Sparky

We added a new member to the family on October 5th! Meet Sparky! He was a stray at the animal shelter so there wasn't a lot of info they could give us. But he is a 1-2 year old Puggle. Half Pug, half Beagle. The kids have really enjoyed taking care of our neighbor’s dog off and on when they are out of town. So Chris had started looking. He looked several weeks before telling me. And then he started dropping hints to me and the kids and then it was all over! We checked the web site every night to see what dogs they had. We both really liked a little Puggle named Ernie. Evan and I went over to the animal shelter on Tuesday to meet Ernie and found out that he was unavailable and was having some pretty bad health problems and was at the vet. So we went back to look at the rest of the dogs and was instantly drawn towards our then unnamed Sparky!


He was so cute and just begging to get out of that kennel. Unfortunately since he was a stray they are not allowed to do anything with the dogs until their available date, which turned out to be the 4th. We couldn't even get him out to see how he would act with Evan. But I took some pictures to show Chris. He liked him and we decided I would go back the next day to adopt him. Turned out I was a day early so again we couldn't do anything but pet him through the gate and give him some treats. I took a video this time and later noticed he never barked at us! That night Chris came home looking for our new dog and I had to tell him I was a day early.

Tomorrow would be the day, bright and early, first thing in the morning, waiting at the door when they opened. But wait. I had a commitment at church Thursday morning. The shelter opens at 9:00 and I had to be at church at 9:30 until 10:30! Chris was super busy at work and couldn't go and I was told I better be there ASAP or I might as well not come home. He is a cute dog and cute dogs get adopted quickly. We raced over to the shelter.

I didn't realize how much I had fallen for this little guy until I walked back to his kennel for the third day in a row and saw a sign on the kennel that he had been adopted. I left the building and called Chris in tears. "Did you by chance make it over to the kennel this morning?" "No, why?" Sob, sob " He's been adopted!" Cry, cry, sob, sob. I was so upset, he couldn't even tease me, and I took all the fun out of it he said later. "Yes, I got my service call done early and was there at 9:00. He's ours." So of course he then had to make fun of me. Sorry, I am an emotional person, I can't help it.

We went back in with smiles on and asked if we could get him out and see how he would act with Evan. On our way back to see him, one of the workers said they had several people come in after Chris had been there looking to adopt him. He was meant to be ours! He was so excited to get out and it was heart wrenching when we had to put him back in. He was staying over night and then going on Friday to the vet to be neutered. After Madi got out of school, we made another trip to see him and take him out again. We hadn't told Madi before getting there that we were getting a dog, she was so surprised and happy! And again, we felt bad for having to leave him behind.

Friday after school, we picked up Madi and picked up Chris and went and picked him up. Madi came up with the name of Spark and we called him that for a couple days and then realized Sparky was much better.

So we have had him now for a month now. He is a great dog! He is a jumper and a runner but we have worked through that and he is learning his name and has become very comfortable here. We are still working on potty training. He has had a couple of accidents in the house but we are still learning his need to go outside cues. We started using the shock collar to train him not to take off when not on a leash. He has taken to that so quickly. Makes it much nicer to have him out and not on a leash and running off. He has to be in the kennel when we leave him and it’s the only time he barks or makes noises. We really did get lucky with our unknown puppy! The kids love him and Evan must say at least a dozen times throughout the day "I love our dog!" Every night he comes in with me as I tuck the kids into bed and they give him kisses and he gives them kisses good night. Madi gets excited when she comes home from school to see him and asks me every day if Sparky missed her. Of course he did! ;) He has become my shadow and Chris gets jealous when he chooses me over him, hehe! It was a great decision and I am so happy that he is such a great fit into our family!

Longing to be outside and running


LOVE!!

So Excited!!

Best Friends!

Add caption

His cute way of sleeping!

Sparky was great medicine for Madi when she was sick.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: