Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Flood

My dad came home last night after work to a flooded house. The braided supply line hose for the hot water under their bathroom sink had completely busted. The force of the water blew open the cabinet doors and was spraying across the room, about 6ft, onto the toilet. It happened sometime between 1:00 and 5:00. By the time he caught it and got the water turned off, they had water damage out into their bedroom, closet, the linen closet and in the hallway upstairs. The water got in between the floor and the downstairs ceiling. It filled up the light fixture in mom's sewing room and was a constant pour out of the fixture. Her whole sewing room was soaked, the bathroom downstairs, and dad's hobby room was soaked, and halfway out into the living area in the basement. The water was running down the walls in the basement and looked like it was following the baseboards and probably in between the walls. It is a mess. I feel so sorry for them and they are taking it pretty well. At least they were while they were busy trying to move and save items, it may have been different after we left and they had a chance to sit down and think about it.

They called Servicemaster right away and they came in and got the majority of the water off the floor and set blowers and dehumidifiers up last night. They were to come back in today with more equipment to try and get the walls and everything else dry. One of those things that happen and can't be prevented. I guess that's why we pay insurance but what a hassle and mess. They maybe in for a bigger mess if insurance decides they need to replace walls and open up the ceiling to get it dry. I would be so afraid of mold now developing, I just don't see how blowers and dehumidifiers can get all the moisture out.

I have been trying to convince Chris to just finish the basement now at the new house instead of waiting awhile, but now that this has happened, maybe we don't want it finished. It is just so scary to see all that damage.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Progress on the new house is getting a little better. We went out yesterday to see how things were going and to see how much clean up I am going to have to do this week. We are supposed to start painting this weekend. We should be able to, we just need to get the extra pieces of drywall moved out of the upstairs and get the whole place cleaned out and clutter free so we can work faster. It will probably take me most of Friday to get the house cleaned.

The drywall mudder should hopefully be done by Friday. It looks like the main part of the house is done and maybe just finishing work left in the garage. Not quite sure, he was gone by the time we got out there yesterday. We also have a couple of guys working off and on during the week. They have started getting the siding up on the backside of the house. For only two guys working, the sure are getting a lot done. I would say they are about 2/3rd's of the way done on the back. I am so pleased with their progress so far. It will be so nice knowing that the outside is done and weather tight soon.

We are making a trip north (I'm bringing your Jumperoo with us Andrea!) to get our counter tops ordered hopefully either tomorrow or Thursday, whatever day works best for Chris. I am so excited to get that part done and figured out. Chris also has the stairway banister designed and is going to start making it down at the shop. We are going with a nontraditional look for a banister, but hopefully the end product will look nice. Chris' design will better match the overall look we have going better than traditional spindle ornate banisters that you normally see. I'll show you what I am talking about once he gets started.

I really need to get some things finished around here, move toward getting this house ready to sell. Finish pulling down some wallpaper and get some painting done. I have also been thinking about starting to box stuff up. But of course, I have only thought about it. Our neighbors just put their house up for sale and it is way overpriced. I wish we were a little closer to selling ourselves. We could have a better chance at selling ours quicker if people have that house to compare it to. But we just aren't there yet. It'll probably still be for sale in a couple of months anyways.

Madi still has a horrible cough. I took her to the doctor yesterday and they said to expect it to last another several days. Her chest and lungs sounded good though, her throat wasn't red or inflamed and her ears were just fine so that is a relief. I sure didn't want to go much longer without getting her checked and have it turn into pneumonia. She is getting her appetite back some and sleeping better. Still as energetic as ever, that never slowed down. So she should be getting better soon.

I'll leave you with some pics!! Have a great rest of the week.
Love, Amy



Catching up on some reading


She is such a cool chick with her glasses on.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are you guys going to get your countertops?? Here in Beloit or just dropping off the jumper and moving on?? :)

I talked to Eric last night and he had talked to your dad and said while he sounded good, he knew he was totally in the dumps about the house!! We would be there to help if we could!!! (we just had the sewer back up into ours....YUMMY!!!)

The Helm Family said...

Awful stuff. At least mom and dads was clean water, I couldn't imagine having to deal with dirty water flooding. I am so sorry for you guys.

We are going to Bell Memorial. Chris found they had the best deal in the area. Hopefully we will be there tomorrow. We would have come today but not with the weather now. Plus we are taking Madi with us.