We started working on the hardwood flooring on Saturday. It was really slow going. We got to going pretty good for awhile until the nailer Chris rented starting acting up and then it took about twice as long. In the end, we got five foot done in five hours. A little discouraging. We figured at that rate it was going to take 35 hours to complete the flooring. We don't have the time to do it ourselves. So, we decided it was time to let someone else do the work. There is a point were you have to let go and let someone help (pay someone to do it). Again, we have Chris' brother doing it and we are hoping that they can get it done by Friday. We were out tonight helping and the nailer again was acting up, so tomorrow Chris has to find a different tool. Or it really will take 35 hours to complete. But it has to be done by Friday. The cabinets are being delivered on Friday so that we can get those installed this weekend. The appliances are being delivered Monday, so the cabinets have to be installed this weekend. Everything is piling up onto each other and moving very quickly now. And once the cabinets are installed, the countertop people can come in and make their template so we can get our granite in several weeks from now!!
Things are slowing down a bit with Chris' work so he has his guys out at the house putting in the lighting fixtures. It looks so nice. We have ceiling fans in, the chandelier over the dining table is in, the pendants over the island. It is really coming together. We also had all the trim, doors and casings delivered to the shop today. We have a mountain of wood that needs to be stained. It is going to take forever to get through all of that wood. Chris has all the wood cut out for the banister. He still has alot of work ahead though to get each stile end cut to fit into the top and bottom rail. And then of course stain all of that wood.
After our fantastic day of laying floor on Saturday, we decided to not do that again on Sunday and get everything cleaned up outside. It was such a beautiful day to be outside too. A little windy, but in Kansas, you can't wait for the wind to die down or you would never get anything done. We were able to get everything cleaned up. We had piles of scrap and trash all over the place and we either got it moved out of the way or put into the wheat truck to be hauled away. It looks so much better and I am sure the neighbors are glad that we got all of our trash picked up that has blown into the fields to the north and south of us. We also had some time to play. We took the four wheeler out and I was able to go explore our little acreage all by myself. It was nice. I haven't been on the four wheeler since before Madi was born. We also got the tractor started and running. Took a little cruise on it. Chris moved some dirt with it. Dan used the digger most of the day. A lot of work but we also had some down time also.
I also got my first dose of country living. I know that there are mice out there and that I would eventually run across them but I didn't expect to be cleaning up piles of wood and having a thousand of them in one place. Okay, maybe eight, that's what I was told at least after Chris and Dan had stopped laughing at my screaming tyraid. I really don't know how many there were all huddled together, because as soon as they lifted that wood, all I saw were wriggling bodies and I took off for the truck, screaming. I didn't hang around to count them or comment on how cute they look. I was scared, I admit it. I just have this picture in my head of one of them running up my leg or jumping at me. Too many movies. I keep telling myself they are just as afraid of me as I am of them. It's not helping, but maybe eventually. I am such a city girl but I am determined to get over it and enjoy our new quite life in the country!!
We are slowly moving toward getting moved out there. We met with a couple again last night and drew up a contract for them to buy our house. They really want our house but they need to sell their house first. They just put it on the market two weeks ago. They are currently living in the country on 25 acres and are ready to slow down and move into town. We have been putting the word out about selling our house soon, so now we need to get the word out and get their house sold. It isn't a done deal and I wish it was a little more firm than it is. But we are giving them 60 days to sell their house before we list ours. Once the 60 days are up then we can do what we need to get our house sold and just give them 48 hour notice to either buy it or pass. So at this point I am really hoping their house sells soon. It would be so nice to not have to get a relator involved. I am also starting to get things boxed up and organized around here. I think there is a lot of stuff that I would like to put in a garage sale and not have to move, but it really isn't the right time of year for a garage sale, so it will probably end up being moved anyway. I am in one of those toss it moods right now and I may regret it later.
I don't have any pictures to share right now. I have been too busy packing, working out at the house, and keeping the house clean for these people that keep wanting to come look at the house to get them downloaded onto the computer. Hopefully soon. I also heard today that the newest member of the Gengler-Wiles family may be joining us really soon. My cousin Andrea has been having contractions for the last three days!!! Really looking forward to meeting the new baby!
Love to you all,
Amy
1 comment:
*sniff*sniff* I am still here with NO baby!! BOOOOOHOOOO!! :)
You guys are doing AWESOME with all the house stuff...I can't wait to get to see it again! You will probably be moved in and living that country life before we get to visit out there again.
I can't WAIT to see how everything has come together. WAY TO GO HELM FAMILY!!! :)
Post a Comment