Friday, May 8, 2009

Little Road Trip

Chris, Madi and I made a little road trip the last two days. We took off early yesterday morning for Garden City. The annual 3I Show was going on down there. It's a huge farm and tractor show, probably double the size of Salina's. We really didn't know what it was all about or what to expect. The reason we went was because they were also having an antique car and tractor auction last night. They had a John Deere 320 tractor that Chris was really interested in. But once we got there, we found that the pictures on the web didn't show the true look of the machines. They looked super in pics, but were a little flawed in person. It leaked fluid from the PTO and was also leaking gas. So, he talked himself out of that one and decided to try for the Farmall H. It's pretty much the same tractor that we already have but it was restored. But he also ended up getting out bid on that one. We came home with an empty trailer. But had a nice little get away.

We started walking this huge tractor show and found out that you can rent golf carts and cruise the show. We asked somebody about it and they said they were told they were all rented out. We decided that was okay, we can walk it. After about an hour, the temp started soaring, Madi was up and down wanting to be held and carried, and I was getting extremely light headed, we thought maybe we better check it out for ourselves. We ended up getting one and what a lifesaver. We probably would have only made it another hour before calling it quits if it hadn't been for the golf cart. Which would have been a real wasted trip since it was only noon and the auction didn't start until 5. So we made it the rest of the day. We all got burned, Madi especially. I felt so bad, I didn't even think about sunblock. It's too early in the summer season to have gotten use to putting sunblock on again. Madi crashed about 3:30 and took a nice hour nap. Went to the auction and then headed for Dodge City. (Oh by the way, you can also take your own golf cart, will have to remember that for next time. At least we wouldn't have pulled an empty trailer there and back if we had taken ours!)

Chris has a friend that runs the parts house in Dodge, he used to work here in town. So we stopped at his place and visited and had supper and then headed to the hotel. He reserved our room for us and you could tell by his choice of rooms that he is a bachelor and has no kids. We ended up getting a King Master Suite (He thought this was so awesome!). Which means it has a nice king size bed in a two story room. It was a narrow room with a sitting area, tv and bathroom downstairs and then you take a spiral staircase to the second floor with the bed and tv. So the stairs were a little freaky even for myself, really narrow and open. They totally freaked Madi out and we ended up having to carry her up and down the stairs. Not the greatest situation when I am pregnant and keeping my balance is hard enough and a little one still needing help with the potty. Nevertheless, we will be making our own accommodations for now on!!

We got up this morning and visited Boot Hill Museum in Dodge City. Not that impressive and totally not worth making a special trip for and then headed home. We took the scenic route and went to Hutchinson and then to Salina. We were going to stop at the Cosmosphere but after driving by and seeing at least 6 large school buses parked in the parking lot, we thought we will make this trip again during the summer when field trips won't be happening.

So we are now home. Chris and Madi are taking a nap and I should be doing the same. Tomorrow is Chris' big tractor parade with the Flywheels Museum. They are taking a ride around the country side in the morning, stopping for lunch at one of the members home and then finishing back at the Museum. Chris is going to drive his JD and Dan is going to drive the Farmall. They have been working all last weekend and in the evenings to get the tractors tuned up and ready to go. Madi and I are headed for Wichita in the morning to see Jason and Tabatha and Jaxson. I can't wait!! I need to get my baby fix again, he is just too cute! Hopefully I'll have more pics when I get back, that's if I'm not holding him the whole day!!

---------------------------------------------
Quick pregnancy update (20 weeks):
Still feeling great but extremely tired. I can't find a good position to lay in at night and not wake up aching all over. I've been feeling some fluttering movements since Sunday. Especially in the evening when I finally sit down and relax. Otherwise, no changes to note. My next appointment is Wednesday and we will see how things are going then.

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day on Sunday!!
Love, Amy

1 comment:

Granny's memories said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, Amy. I wish I could have seen the tractor run. The pictures Danny posted were great!!