Tuesday, June 23, 2009

It's Quads....Almost!!!

Hahaha funny to all my Facebook friends. Sorry, I couldn't pass up pulling some legs!

Well our new additions to our family are in the form of Killdeer birds. We had a mama Killdeer lay her eggs right at the entrance of our drive about a month ago. We have been trying to protect them from getting ran over, although I am pretty sure they got ran over at least 3 times. Or at least close to it. But the biggest Mama around here has been Madi. You would get a firm talking to or a yell as you were leaving if you got too close to the babies!


Last night two of the four babies hatched. They are so cute and it is really amazing that these birds can even walk. Their legs are like toothpicks on a round body. But they are also pretty neat birds because they are up and walking soon after hatching. Unlike other baby birds that can't see, no feathers and depend on their parents for awhile after hatching, these little guys are fluffy and running all over the place. They were unsteady last night, but they got around quite a bit.


We went out first thing this morning and found another baby had hatched. I just went out again to check and she is still sitting on one more. I'll be glad when they are done and hopefully she picks a better spot next time. They really have been a pain. Totally wrong spot to lay eggs. At least these should be happy that Chris was nicer this year. Last summer I don't know how many nests he ran over.



June 17th, sitting on four eggs. She was pretty relaxed
and let me get within arms length without squawking at me.



June 22nd. A lot more protective and noisy.
Two babies, just hatched, not moving out yet.



About an hour later up on the road. One baby
and Daddy.



June 23rd, up and running this morning.



This afternoon. Mom was really squawking and
babies were running.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Amy thanks for sharing.

Joye said...

I'm the anonymous comment....don't know why it did that....just in case you were wondering.