Wednesday morning we went down to the fair grounds and entered a drawing that Madi did and I entered canned tomatoes and a jar of our mulberry jam in the open class judging. My ultimate goal is to hopefully get Madi into 4-H. I think it would be a wonderful learning opportunity for her. But you can't start 4-H until 8 years old. So, I thought we would start now with open class categories and get her thinking about these things throughout the year. She loved looking at the garden entries so maybe next summer she will want to help out more in the garden and enter her own home grown veggies. She also liked the flower arrangements. And got really excited when she found flowers entered that we have growing wild out in our field that she loves to pick. But we didn't have enough time to get them entered for this year. It's really neat because they have children's categories for as young as 5 and under. So next year we will probably try and enter more. So far my plan for her to think about things she wants to enter in the fair is working. All week, every picture she draws she says it is for the fair.
Wednesday evening was the parade. Chris drove the show tractor and pulled the wagon behind filled with some very happy kids! There were 6 kids riding. I walked along with my friend Sherry, and Chris' cousins Kristy and Gina and we handed out candy. I bought a lot of candy but we were still almost two blocks short of having enough. The poor kids at the end of the parade didn't look very happy. We must not have been the only ones to run out.
Madi with her cowgirl outfit on. She picked out new pink boots and a pink cowboy hat this year.
Madi, Kenley, Mayci, and Carly. They were all just way too cute!!
We were towards the back of the parade so we were able to sit and watch most of it before hopping into the wagon. The kids were still able to collect candy and not get antsy waiting. Worked out great.
The wagon with the kids waiting.
We went to the fair Thursday night. The kids pedal pull was in the Bi-Center and all three girls participated again this year. Madi was the first kid to go and they didn't have a very good, level surface for the kids to pull on. But Madi got going and kind of veered off the course and once she felt a little resistance, she just stopped pedaling. I am sure she could have gone further but she had fun. Until they handed out prizes. They had trophy's for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Kenley got 3rd and got her trophy and Madi lost it. She was so upset that she didn't get anything. Last year, every participant got a ribbon and it made it seem like everyone won. This year, the kids could clearly see if they won or not. Very disappointing but a good lesson for her to learn even if she didn't want to listen. Check out the video to see how they did!
After the pedal pull we went over to see how we did on our judging. I knew Madi was going to have a ribbon on her drawing. Every participant got a ribbon. So we were excited to go see it and show her that she also won but on something different. We get over there and surprise to all of us, Madi got third on her drawing and won the white ribbon. She was very excited. And not only did Madi get a ribbon, but we placed second on our tomatoes. I was shocked!!
We then spent the evening letting the girls ride the rides and they had a blast. After the rides, Mayci and Kenley came home with us and Madi had a sleep over. They stayed up really late and was up a lot earlier than I was hoping they would be.
I then took the kids back over to the fair grounds so we could wander around and see the animals since we didn't get that done the night before. We went to the petting zoo and the two baby goats were out and running around. The girls got to pet them and the baby ducks and the donkey. Evan also loved the donkey. He pet him and yelled at him and it just stood there and looked at him.
Saturday we went to Goessel for their tractor show. They have a really nice show with lots to see and do. They have a nice kids games and make and take crafts area. I like to go and get ideas for our show. They also have a parade that runs through the whole town. Madi stood on the road and collected candy while Evan and I watched and sweated. It was miserably hot that day and both kids just wanted to go, go, go. Madi did another pedal pull. Again she just stopped so we decided next time we would have to walk with her and keep cheering her on right in front of her. We'll see how that works. She placed third, but just her luck they only had prizes for 1st and 2nd. We left before she figured this out. Just to make it easier on her and us. Chris and Dan and a couple other members of the Flywheels sold tickets for the tractor and had a really good day.
Dan with the show tractor while Madi watches and waits for more candy.
Evan and I watching the parade.
They had these buckets of water so the kids could float their paper boats they build. Evan had a blast just splashing in the water. It cooled him down and was much safer than the corn table, since everything still goes directly into the mouth.
Today Evan is 11 months old. I can't even believe he is almost one. He is such a jabber box right now. All sorts of sounds, but still no words. He is busy exploring everything. And follows his sister around every where. Last night she was playing in her room with her Barbies so he wasn't allowed in. He just totally lit up when she finally came out to play with him about an hour later. The other day she was laying on the couch watching something on tv and not paying attention to him. He crawled up and stood right in front of her and screamed "ahh...ahhh...ahh" until he finally got her attention. It was so cute we just laughed. He loves anything with wheels and is really getting into tractors now. (I wonder why!!) We were reading a picture book and we got to the vehicles page and he saw the tractor. I asked him where is the tractor? He crawled over to his window and moves the curtain and yells towards the shed where the tractors are parked. Such a smarty pants. I was starting to worry because he isn't anywhere near what Madi was doing at this age and also looking at my nephew Jaxson and where he is at. But I think he is quietly taking it all in. And since his sister does everything for him, he doesn't have a chance! I'll stop worrying about it though. He is happy and healthy and so very lovable.
Have a good weekend!
Love, Amy
No comments:
Post a Comment