Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Meet Evan Daniel Helm

Evan was born on September 11, 2009 at 3:51 pm. He weighed 7 lbs 4 oz and is 19 1/2 inches long. He has a little bit of dark hair and is so adorable!! Of course, I am a little partial! I can't express how much we love him and are so excited that our family has grown. It feels so wonderful!!



Labor went really well and much faster than with Madi. I was only dilated to a one when we arrived at the hospital at 7:00 am Friday morning. By 12:00 the doctor came in and broke my water and I was at a 3 at that time. Once he broke my water, the contractions really picked up. I was dealing with the pain pretty well but had this nagging thought that I better get my epidural before it's too late. So at 2:15 the anesthesiologist came in and started the epidural. At 3:00, our wonderful morning nurses were leaving and we had another wonderful nurse come in. She checked me then and I was at an 8-9 and she said, 15 minutes and we will be ready to push!! What, already?! She was frantically setting up the room and calling the doctor, while my contractions were getting increasingly stronger and stronger. I don't know if it was because the epidural hadn't been in as long but I felt so much more with this labor than I did with Madi (6 hour epidural). But it worked out great because I was able to feel the pushing this time and every push counted. We actually had to wait through 4 contractions for the doctor. VERY PAINFUL!! 3 contractions, 9 pushes and Evan was here!!!!

We brought Madi into the room first to meet him. She was so excited! She walked in and with a big gasp she said "the baby is out of your tummy!" She came over and Chris helped her climb up and she immediately started her loving on that baby. It has been nonstop kisses for him ever since. She can't walk by him without stopping to give him kisses. And she likes to hold him, but he gets heavy quick so they are short holds. We definitely shouldn't have dragged our feet on the name, because she is having trouble remembering his name so far. She keeps calling him Fredel!!! But she is getting better.

It is so amazing how much you forget from one baby to the next. And the nervous jitters of every noise and sound he makes are still there. Friday night was a very long night. He was a very noisy sleeper that first night which made me jump and check on him with every little noise. We had a nice room with a queen bed, which made it much easier on Chris to stay at the hospital. But between me jumping up and Chris being unable to get comfortable enough to get some good sleep, he ended up going home at 3:30 to get some good rest. Which he needed, having to keep up with Madi and keep her occupied while at the hospital the next day. And Madi did such an amazing job at the hospital. I really thought we were going to have problems with her getting bored and rambunctious. But she was so super good all weekend.

Sunday morning Evan had his circumcision done. YUCK!! Very painful for the little guy, I felt so bad. But everything went well and we were dismissed at 1:00 pm. We went home and Dan and Jane followed us out and helped get everything inside and unloaded. Mom and Dad came out shortly after with a bunch of food. Jason, Tabatha, and Jaxson got here about an hour later. We had a nice relaxing evening.

Chris has been so wonderful!!! I don't know what I would have done the last two days without him. He took some extra time off this time to help with Madi. They spent all day yesterday together. It has made it so much easier for me to be able to sit and relax and not have to worry about trying to keep up and entertain her all day. She had preschool this morning. I took her, but Chris picked her up. I was able to run to Target and pick some stuff up and then headed home and able to take a nap.

Evan is a little backwards right now with his time. Monday he slept all day long and was up all night last night. He has done a little better this morning. He was up for about an hour and hopefully I can keep him up a little longer this evening so we can get him turned around. So far I have noticed he doesn't mind sleeping by himself during the day, but last night, he wanted nothing to do with sleeping in his bed. He fell asleep several times in my arms, I layed him down in bed and not 2 minutes later, he was awake and screaming. I was so exhausted, I gave in and we slept in the recliner the rest of the night (a whole 2 hours!!) Madi was really good about sleeping in her bed, and I know he is still very young and it probably won't affect him either way at this point, but I don't want him getting used to sleeping while being held. So far, he seems to have the same temperament as Madi did. Not fussy and very laid back. Except when it is time to eat, he gets a little impatient. And it will be nice when his circumcision is healed up. You can tell he is still in a lot of pain during diaper changes and when he poops.

Yesterday morning was his first doctors appointment. Everything went well. He weighs 6 lbs 11 oz. The doctor was pleased with his weight. His color was excellent. She said everything was perfect. We go back on the 28th of September.

Please feel free to come out and visit anytime. We love having visitors and would love to show him off to everyone!!! Thank you for all the well wishes and congratulations. We love you all!

Chris, Amy, Madi and Evan

3 comments:

Laura said...

We love the pictures. Little Evan is soo cute. I think he looks just like Madi.

Linda J. said...

What a beautiful little baby boy! How blessed you are to have him in your family, and for him to be born into your family! May God bless him and you all.

The Gengler's said...

What a sweetie! He does look a lot like Madi, his expression in this photo reminds me of those pictures of her in that pink dress on the white blanket. Were those her first pics after leaving the hospital? We love him to pieces! Give him a little hug from us!